Diabetes care areas - click here to navigate to care area page
Ask a question
As of April 1st 2013 NHS Diabetes became part of NHS Improving Quality. Please direct your enquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you, your question has been sent. We aim to get back to you within five working days.
Older People Diaebtes Network (OPDN)
Older people are more likely to have diabetes - as many as 1 in 4 older people in residential and nursing care.
Diabetes in older people is often a complex interaction between the process of ageing, a major metabolic disturbance, widespread vascular disease and functional loss. The risk of cognitive dysfunction, depressive illness and falls all require innovative preventative strategies.
How does the older people network support you?
The older people network aims to bring together health and social care professionals from a range of disciplines, who share an interest in the care of older people with diabetes. The network members may work in diabetes services, older peoples services, social care or the third or private sectors. They all share a common goal: to ensure that older people with diabetes get the best possible care.
As for all our networks, the success of the older people groups are dependent on input from our network members. It is your enthusiasm and participation that keeps the network alive.
- Clearly identify existing inequalities in several clinical and social environments and their impacts, identifying additional areas requiring further investigation.
- Promote examples of best clinical practice and evidence based interventions.
- Develop a communication and knowledge management plan which is informed by an equality and non-discrimination policy.
- Provide a simple but valid cognitive assessment tool (PDF 294.9KB) that can be employed widely within community and primary care settings. An educational DVD describing the use and benefits of this will be available soon.
- Develop an audit tool for residents of care homes (PDF 334.4KB) as a collaborative project with Diabetes UK.
- Promote cultural change in how older people with diabetes are cared for.
- Provide a good guidance document on diabetes care for older people within the United Kingdom.
- Older people network flyer (PDF 412.7KB)
- Cognitive screening in diabetes - a summary (PDF 294.9KB)
- Health professionals survey - a summary (PDF 388.7KB)
- The Beds and Herts care home Diabetes Pilot - a summary (PDF 334.4KB)